Pages

Saturday 19 June 2010

Easy Run?!

STOP PRESS, this is not an oxymoron. I have now witnessed this with my own eyes (and more importantly, my own legs). I have proof on a heart rate monitor and everything! Back in the day - and I mean way back - when I was a few stone heavier and had a ridiculous haircut, I thought I would never, ever be able to run for longer than 10 minutes. I started a total novice ultimate beginner training plan that involved 1 minute jogging, then 2 minutes walking and so on. Those were the most exhausting and painful minutes of my life at the time. But eventually it did get easier, and 10 minutes, whilst still painful, was achievable. Even much more recently as I've started to really get into running, I never thought I would be able to really improve, to get faster and to go for longer. Flicking through running magazines frantically searching for inspiration frustrated me as all of their training tips and plans involved running at different paces, who runs at different paces?! I had one pace and one pace only, or two actually if you count walking. Running is hard enough as it is without trying to go even faster. However, a bit of perseverance and a bit of running with people who are faster has made me up the pace in recent weeks - which is brilliant, but of course still involves the pain factor. It doesn't matter how much you run, if you're improving, it still hurts. However, the magic moment happened tonight. I fancied going for an evening run to make the most of the long, sunny evening. The problem was that I had eaten a hefty portion of stir fry and if I went out all guns blazing I thought there would be a strong possibility of involuntary regurgitation. I thought that instead I would go out, but just take it very steady. Ten minutes into the run and I couldn't even hear myself breathing. Not because I was dead you understand but because I just wasn't out of breath yet! Amazing! Two miles later and I was still trotting along happily, fresh legged and bushy tailed. I even picked up the pace a little bit for the last mile or so and I still felt brilliant. Only a slither of gentle perspiration to show that I was working at all, as opposed to the usual torrent dripping over my brow. In fact I didn't even really need a shower when I got in (I had one anyway, just to be on the safe side). So an easy run is possible. All those other runners have not been lying all this time as I had suspected. It just takes a bit of work first and then you can reap the rewards. 4.5 miles. Easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment