Pages

Sunday 15 July 2012

Juice Detox Day 1: Some Valuable Lessons

The juice detox didn't get off to the best start as I went to attempt to peel an avocado for my breakfast smoothie only to realise it was rock solid and I didn't stand a chance. A lot of the recipes call for avocado so I currently have all mine wrapped in newspaper with bananas to hasten them along. I consulted the bible from the Juicemaster himself, Jason Vale, and just switched some things around to avoid all avocado today.

Philips Avance Collection HR1871/00 800 Watt Juicer in Brushed Stainless Steel

The quite un-blended breakfast smoothie
I was actually a little bit in awe at the juice that comes out of the juicer, I didn't expect it to be quite so smooth and juice-like. It utterly pulverises everything you pop down the chute in seconds, even whole apples! My breakfast smoothie wasn't all juice though, it needed frozen berries, ice cubes, a bit of muesli and a dollop of yoghurt blended in. Lesson number 2: a hand blender does not blend frozen fruit and ice cubes. I persevered though as I couldn't face cleaning both the smoothie maker AND the juicer. The result was a bit more roughie than smoothie but tasted delicious nonetheless.

Green froth, the second time around..
The pure juices made later in the day were amazing. I genuinely thought I'd be holding my nose, closing my eyes and trying to gulp disgusting concoctions down all in the name of good health, but it turns out spinach, lime, watercress and pineapple is a weirdly appealing combination. It definitely tastes far better than it looks. Green, frothy juice doesn't immediately inspire confidence. I actually had to make that twice as I had gotten carried away with excitement about the physical act of juicing and pressed the button before putting the jug under the juice tap. Green froth definitely doesn't appeal as it spreads wildly across the tabletop.

Surprisingly, I don't feel hungry.. yet, but it is only Day 1. The big bowl of squash and carrot soup that was on the menu for dinner felt thick and hearty enough to satisfy my belly and whilst I was very tempted to have seconds, I realised that would just be greedy and that I really didn't need it. Yes, you heard right. By the end of the week I might just have had a revelation!



No comments:

Post a Comment