Pages

Monday 4 July 2011

Sleeping, Napping and Having a Kip

The last few weeks have been hectic to say the least and I have gotten myself into some bad habits. I always said that June would be "the month of fun" after training so hard in April and May and piling in the miles to prepare my legs for the Tour of Wessex. The problem is that in this month of fun I have said yes to almost everything; be it a social occasion, training session or some other event.


Gradually I have been having less and less sleep and doing more and more stuff and last week, the body finally gave me a signal that it needed a rest. I thought I had somehow strained my neck muscles from lifting (obviously massive) weights but quickly realised it was something rather more glandular. Within 24 hours I was feeling like death. I - very sensibly - make the decision to rest up and allow complete recovery. As much as it pained me to do so, all training was scrubbed out of the diary.


Sleep, it turns out, is the best recovery tool in the box. One of my goals last year was to prioritise sleep more and that one appears to have slipped away a bit so I'm bringing it back! From now, I'm going to be all over the early nights and even have naps after particularly hard sessions.


On a positive note, I haven't binged on 'comfort' food during these last few days and have instead indulged in things filled with Vitamin C and chunky vegetable soups. As a result I feel mentally okay about my rest and haven't been filled with that 'loss of fitness' dread that usually consumes me during these times of illness.


Anyway, less blogging.. I'm off for a kip.

No comments:

Post a Comment