Pages

Thursday 21 July 2011

Having a Proper Holiday

The whole point of a holiday is to get away from the daily grind and do something different. Some might even say do something relaxing, or do nothing at all. Doing nothing seems to be an utterly pointless waste of time to me though; if you're going to do nothing you might as well not bother going on holiday at all!

On the other hand, I know people (and when I say people, I mean triathletes) who have taken a week off work and stayed at home just so they can "train like the pros", putting in some hard sessions with a good amount of recovery and plenty of time to make delicious, healthy food.

I am torn. Part of me wants to have a nice holiday where I eat all the naughty food I like, get drunk with my friends and spend my time causing the usual sorts of mischief and having some adventures. However, I know in two weeks time I will hate myself if I arrive home half a stone heavier and feeling like a mess.

The other part of me has already researched what pools, gyms and bike rentals are around, packed the trainers and the goggles and considered getting in some quality training time.

In standard 'Egg Goes Healthy' style (which is where I strive for balance and usually fail by going to a massive extreme) I plan to do a bit of both. If I can get in a few runs, a few swims and maybe a bike ride or a spinning class or two in amongst the socializing and adventuring, I'll be very happy.

I intend to try my hardest NOT to plan my days around when I can fit in a training session though, and instead make the most of the rest time, which everybody keeps telling me will be so good for me!

So let's hope I return from my Canadian adventure relaxed, refreshed and still able to fit in my jeans!

No comments:

Post a Comment